The story of electricity and the history of Johnson & phillips have been linked for almost one and a quarter century. Johson & phillips started as a small company in London suburb, in 1875, for the manufacture and the sale of telegraph cable and the associated equipment’s. As the use of electricity increase, J&P expanded its activities to meet the need of this new industry, as early as 1905, J&P handled its first large switchboard contract, consisting of 6.6.KV remote control oil Circuit breaker. By 1918, they had a complete range of high tension oil circuit breakers and low tension. Switchboards. Some of the great supplied by J&P in 1918 is still in operation. Operating in Pakistan since 1948, the company was renamed Johnson & Phillips (PAKISTAN) Limited in 1958, and incorporated as a public limited Company, 1961.
After the creation of Pakistan in 1947, J&P was the first foreign company to open a sales office in the country. In 1948, J&P opened a small sales office in Karachi. By 1949, J&P had built two production bays and an office block at Sindh Industrial trading Estates, Karachi where it commenced the manufacture of low tension Switchboards incorporating imported circuit breakers and switch-fuses. In 1954, work started on two new productions bays and these were completed early the following year. Jigs were imported and machinery bought to extend the range of manufacture to High Tension Switchboards
J&P, a pioneer in the electrical development of Pakistan was the first company to manufacture H.T. Oil Circuit Breakers in country, In 1961… In 1958 a further production bay was added to the existing J&P factory, and in September 1961, Some more machinery-jigs, tools and fixtures, were installed at the new production unit and the manufacture of High tension Oil Circuit breakers were commenced.
The first two circuit breakers were manufactured in Pakistan were sent to the independent short Circuit Test Station of K.E.M.A. in Holland where they successfully passed the stringent Short Circuit Test to the latest British standards.
In 1968, the J&P product range was diversified to include Distribution Transformers… A unit for the manufacture of Distribution Transformers was added to our factory in 1968. Orders were immediately received from electricity Authorities in Pakistan – WAPDA and the Karachi Electricity Supply Corporation. J&P equipment supplied in 1968 to KESC and WAPDA, is still operating satisfactory.
In 1969, the manufacture of Current & Voltage Transformers was commenced…
Manufacturing Current and Voltage Transformers in Pakistan since over two decades, the Company is now putting up a new plant, which will go into operation in January 2005. With our enhanced production capacity, J&P will be exporting Instrument Transformers to the Far Eastern and Middle Eastern Countries, 2006 onwards.
J&P was the first Company in Pakistan and the Third World to indigenously
design, develop and manufacture Vacuum Circuit Breakers, in Pakistan, in 1986…
A whole range of Vacuum Circuit Breakers upto 2500Amps and 25KA at 15KV were
designed and produced in Pakistan, by J&P. These VCBs were successfully tested at the internationally recognized laboratories of KEMA in Holland and CESI in Italy and were certified to have passed the requirements of the International Electrotechnical Commission
J&P’s deep commitment to indigenous technological development makes it one of
the few companies in Pakistan to invest heavily in research & development…
At J&P, innovation is almost a tradition. Apart from being the first Company in Pakistan to have manufactured H.T. Oil Circuit Breakers, and the first Company in the Third World to have designed, developed and produced 11KV-l 5KV Vacuum Circuit Breakers, J&P’s R&D team is working on a number of new ideas and products in the electrical & electronic fields.
Our 24KV VCB is now ready for certification. J&P has also designed and developed an 11KV SF-6 Ring Main Unit which will be sent to the Kema laboratories for tests and certification.
Over the past four decades, J& P has evolved a highly professional team of
engineering personnel, who combine J&P’s hundred & thirty years of engineering experience with a spirit of innovation…
The J&P team today comprises highly-trained engineers, design personnel, skilled workers, inspectors and testers, totaling over 600 employees. Many of our engineers have extensive experience in the Switchgear & Transformer Industry, and have been trained in U.K. factories. Moreover, we also utilize the services of highly experienced European & American design Consultants to ensure that our products meet the latest International Standards.
Address Of Company:
C – 10, South Avenue S.I.T.E.,
P.O.Box-3603, Karachi-75700, Pakistan.